Rotator cuff surgery repairs partial or complete tears of the shoulder tendon as well as shoulder tendinitis, which can cause chronic pain and affect you shoulder function, preventing you from participating in physical activities. After you have had surgery, your recovery time will depend on the severity of your injury. Making a full recovery and being able to resume your usual athletic activities can take between four to six months. During this period, you need to allow your shoulder adequate time to heal while following these rotator cuff surgery recovery tips.
- Wear Your Sling or Shoulder Immobilizer
- Discover SnapWear™ Post Shoulder Surgery Shirts to make getting dressed easier during recovery.
- Participate in Physical Therapy
- Avoid Certain Arm Movements and Shoulder Positions
- Raising your arm over your head
- Lifting objects
- Putting weight on your arm or shoulder
- Reaching behind your body
- Moving your arm out to the side
- Watch for Signs of Complications
- Fever of 101 degrees or higher
- Redness or yellow discharge at your incision sites
- Sudden and severe pain or pain that does not respond to medication
- Tingling or numbness in your hand or fingers on the affected side
- Do Not Resume Athletic Activities Too Early
Even if you are feeling very little pain, you still need to maintain your doctor’s recommended recovery time after rotator cuff surgery. Trying to play sports, doing challenging exercises, or performing other activities that put strain on your shoulder can increase your risk of injuring it again. You also run the risk of injuring other parts of your body, such as your spine or elbow, when you resume physical activities before you are really ready. Once your doctor tells you that is it safe to play sports again, which is typically when you have regained full muscle strength and have no pain in your shoulder, you will need to return to physical activities gradually.
This content is for informational purposes only. It does not replace the advice of a physician or other health care professional. Reliance on this site's content is solely at your own risk. Renova Medical Wear Inc. disclaims any liability for injury or damages resulting from the use of any site content.