Shoulder surgery is a common procedure to treat a variety of conditions, including rotator cuff tears, shoulder dislocations, and arthritis. It can be a complex surgery, so it's important to be well-informed before you go under the knife. Here are some questions you should ask your doctor before shoulder surgery:
- What is the name of the surgery and what does it involve?
- Why is this surgery necessary for me?
- What are the alternatives to surgery?
- What are the risks and benefits of surgery?
- What is the success rate of surgery?
- What is the expected recovery time?
- What kind of pain relief can I expect after surgery?
- Will I need physical therapy? If so, for how long?
- When will I be able to return to work and other activities?
- What are the signs and symptoms of complications?
Here are some additional questions you may want to ask:
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- What type of implant will be used, if necessary?
- What is your experience with this type of surgery?
- What are your complication rates?
- Can I see educational materials about this surgery?
It's also important to ask questions about your specific situation. For example, if you're an athlete, you may want to know when you'll be able to return to sports. If you have a job that requires a lot of physical activity, you may want to know when you'll be able to go back to work.
Don't be afraid to ask your doctor any questions you have. The more informed you are, the better you'll be able to make a decision about whether or not to have surgery.
Here are some additional tips for asking questions before shoulder surgery:
- Write down your questions ahead of time so you don't forget anything.
- Bring a friend or family member to your appointment to help you remember the answers.
- Don't be afraid to ask follow-up questions.
- If you don't understand something, ask your doctor to explain it again.
It's important to remember that you have the right to ask questions about your care. Your doctor is there to help you make the best decision for your health.
We also recommend visiting our store for your post surgery recovery clothing need. www.renovamedicalwear.com
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.