Rotator cuff surgery is a common procedure to repair a torn rotator cuff, a group of tendons and muscles that stabilize the shoulder joint. The surgery can be performed arthroscopically, meaning through small incisions, or through a larger open incision.
Recovery from rotator cuff surgery can take several months, but there are things you can do to help speed the process and ensure a full recovery. Here are some tips:
- Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. This includes taking any prescribed medications, wearing a sling as instructed, and attending physical therapy appointments.
- Get plenty of rest. Your body needs time to heal, so it's important to give yourself plenty of rest. Avoid strenuous activities, such as lifting heavy objects or playing sports, until your doctor says it's okay.
- Apply ice to your shoulder. This can help reduce inflammation and pain. Apply an ice pack for 20 minutes at a time,several times a day.
- Elevate your arm. This can also help reduce swelling. When you're sitting or lying down, prop your arm up on pillows so that it's above the level of your heart.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eating nutritious foods will help your body heal properly. Make sure to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables,and whole grains.
- Do your physical therapy exercises. Physical therapy is essential for a full recovery from rotator cuff surgery. Your therapist will teach you exercises to help improve your range of motion and strength.
Here are some additional tips that may help you recover from rotator cuff surgery:
- Organize your home. Make sure that all of your necessities are within easy reach, so that you don't have to strain your shoulder to get things.
- Set up a meal train or make plenty of freezer meals. This will help you avoid having to cook, which can be difficult with a limited range of motion in your shoulder.
- Ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask your family and friends for help with tasks such as bathing, dressing, and cooking.
- Be patient. Recovery from rotator cuff surgery takes time. Don't get discouraged if you don't see results immediately. Just keep following your doctor's instructions and doing your physical therapy exercises, and you'll eventually make a full recovery.
If you have any questions or concerns about your recovery from rotator cuff surgery, be sure to talk to your doctor.
We also recommend visiting our store for your post surgery recovery clothing need. www.renovamedicalwear.com
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.