Medicare covers durable medical equipment (DME) that is necessary for your medical condition and helps you maintain your mobility and independence at home. DME is defined as equipment that can be used repeatedly and is expected to last for three years or more.
What is DME?
DME includes a wide range of equipment, such as:
- Ambulatory aids, such as walkers, canes, and crutches
- Respiratory equipment, such as oxygen tanks and nebulizers
- Mobility devices, such as wheelchairs and scooters
- Medical supplies, such as blood glucose testing strips and lancets
- Enteral and parenteral nutrition equipment, such as catheters and pumps
- Home infusion therapy equipment
- Traction equipment
- Prosthetic and orthotic devices
What is covered by Medicare?
Medicare covers the following types of DME:
- Rentals: Medicare may cover the rental of DME if you need it for a limited time or if you are trying out different types of equipment to find the best fit for your needs.
- Purchases: Medicare may cover the purchase of DME if you need it for an extended period of time and it is likely to last for three years or more.
- Repairs: Medicare may cover the repair of DME if it is necessary to maintain its functionality.
What is not covered by Medicare?
Medicare does not cover the following types of DME:
- Routine maintenance: Medicare does not cover routine maintenance of DME.
- Equipment that is not necessary for your medical condition: Medicare does not cover DME that is not necessary for your medical condition and helps you maintain your mobility and independence at home.
- Equipment that is not medically appropriate: Medicare does not cover DME that is not medically appropriate for your condition.
How to get DME covered by Medicare
To get DME covered by Medicare, you must first see your doctor and get a prescription for the equipment. Your doctor will work with you to determine the type of equipment that is best for your needs and will write a prescription for it.
Once you have a prescription, you can take it to a Medicare-approved DME supplier. The supplier will work with you to get the equipment and will bill Medicare for it.
Tips for getting DME covered by Medicare
Here are a few tips for getting DME covered by Medicare:
- Ask your doctor about DME: Your doctor can help you determine if DME is right for you and can provide you with a prescription.
- Choose a Medicare-approved DME supplier: Make sure the supplier you choose is Medicare-approved. This will ensure that Medicare will cover the cost of the equipment.
- Get a written estimate: Before you agree to rent or purchase DME, get a written estimate from the supplier.This will help you understand the cost of the equipment and ensure that you are getting a fair price.
Where to get more information
For more information about DME coverage by Medicare, you can visit the Medicare website or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
We also recommend visiting our store for your post surgery recovery clothing need. www.renovamedicalwear.com
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.